Friday, October 11, 2019

Stretching Before or After a Workout?

How important is stretching? It appears that health professionals, fitness gurus, and your average workout buff all believe in the importance of stretching. But why? What does stretching do for the body? When should you stretch? And for how much?

So why bother with stretches. I feel it is a good way to start your warmup but physiologically stretching out your muscles is a necessity. Working your muscles, whether from everyday life or a workout, contracts your muscles. This contraction can cause your muscles to tense and shorten.

Stretching your muscles restores the balance in your body. This may decrease your chance of injury to your muscles and joints. And who wants the strain and discomfort from such injuries?

Plus stretching can help increase your range of motion. This may increase your ability to perform your exercises to the fullest. And the joy in your performance. Possibly even the number of your repetitions.

So let’s get in to it. I am not a licensed health professional nor a certified trainer. The discussion here is from my observations, research, experience and pure old opinion.

Some may say you should stretch before a workout. Others would say it should be after a workout. Maybe as part of your cool down routine. But the general consensus, especially among my friends, is that you should stretch before and after a workout. And that would include just going for a walk.

I have not seen much of a discussion on stretching upon rising from bed each day. As I recall, Charles Atlas, the renown fitness guru, advocated stretching upon rising every day. He was big on stretching your arms up with your hands reaching for the sky and stretching for as high as you could reach.

Holding your stretch for a count of twenty and repeating ten to twenty times should get your body warmed up a bit. Then bending over for toe touches with a few back bends, and adding some torso twists, should give you a physical boost to start your day. I also like to do a few leg and arm stretches. And flex my feet and stretch my fingers out a bit.

Before a workout or heading out for a walk, run, or bicycle ride, a good stretch can be a good start. Warm muscles respond better and help protect from some injuries. And if I’m going to do a serious workout, I like to do some good old fashioned jumping jacks after stretching. Ingrained behavior, thanks Coach.

A lot of my friends like to do stretches as part of their cool down routine. I do too. But I am changing that behavior. I read that post workout stretching should be done after you have cooled down. And that resonated with me. Makes sense to me to let yourself cool down and then stretch out your muscles after they have settled.

Stretching should improve your flexibility over time. And is also good for improving mobility. We will get into individual stretches and some stretching routines at another time. Below are some links to some stretching routines that I will be trying out. Try them for yourself and see how they do.

Now here comes the kicker, You don’t have to stretch. Some research shows it doesn’t make much difference. But there is other research that shows some benefits. And the anecdotal evidence does indicate that it is beneficial.

So go for it. You will probably feel better. I know I do. And range of motion improvements are working for me. As you get older you will appreciate it. If you’re not into stretching you might want to pick one of the three; either upon rising from sleep, before, or after your wakeup. Guess which one I would choose? Until next time.

Please share your opinions on the above. And answer this question; what are your favorite stretching methods?

Links for stretching routines:

The 21 Best Stretching Exercises for Better Flexibility by Amy Marturana, C.P.T. @Self.com

The Truth About Stretching by Sonya Collins @webmd.com
Find out the best ways to stretch and the best times to do it.

Stretching: Myths, Facts, and Beginner's Stretches - @Healthline.com

No comments:

Post a Comment