Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Mmm, Mmm, Mmm! Chicken Stir-Fry for Breakfast

Pic of chicken stir-fry
Chicken Stir-Fry
A great way to handle left-overs is to make a breakfast stir-fry. The good thing about a stir-fry is there are no hard fast rules. Fresh vegetables, frozen, or leftover veggies are all a good start. Mix and match what you have. And whatever else you have on hand when added to the mix should work.

The important key I have been told is that your pan needs to be hot; very hot. If you put rice in and it tends to stick then your pan is not hot enough. Oil helps and is necessary for most fries. But be careful you do not use too much. Two, maybe three tablespoons is generally sufficient. Do not forget to stir. After all, this is a stir-fry.



I usually have a fruit smoothie for breakfast and a light lunch. Now this is a change from what I used to eat. I was raised on bacon and eggs, grits with butter, toast with jam, and if we were lucky, sausage gravy and biscuits. That is definitely a hearty, Southern American breakfast. To make it healthy we might add fresh fruit if it was available.

Pic of Stir-Fry with Rice
Stir-Fry with Rice
My wife is on a low-carbohydrate diet. and sticks to eating protein most of the time. We occasionally have a vegetable and egg omelette but many mornings it is hard boiled eggs for her and the smoothie for me. I have taken to sharing my fruit smoothie with her which actually took some doing. She generally complains that fruit has too much sugar, allbeit it is natural sugar.

Today she was not in the mood for eggs and decided to use last night's leftovers in a stir-fry. And she convinced me to join her in this endeavor. I did make my fruit smoothie and shared a bit with her.

Her stir-fry started with half of an onion diced up and sauteed in oil to which she added a couple of diced small peppers with the top of a stalk of celery. Then she tossed in a handful of spinach along with another small handful of mixed vegetables. To this she added cubed chicken breast from last night's dinner which I had prepared for her. Her final major addition was leftover brown rice.

Pic of a fruit smoothie
Fruit Smoothie
To her stir-fry she added an egg which was stirred in thoroughly. And finally she seasoned the entire concoction with low-sodium soy sauce. Fresh vegeatable, some whole grain, and protein from the chicken and egg. Sounds healthy enough to me. But more importantly, it was delish. Very, very good.

I ate a bit more than would have been considered proper for a serving but I couldn't help myself. I fall back on my statement of it being a "healthy" dish. With the smoothie I was feeling very sated. Guess that is what happens when I eat a late breakfast that became my lunch. So I ended up skipping a meal. Still was an enjoyable day.

So who has a stir-fry or breakfast recipe they would like to share. Please do. I am always open to new ideas as I am sure others reading this will be. I will get back to smoothies and recipes for them in a later post.

Hope you all had, or will have, a great day!

Here are some great smoothie recipes. And more healthy eats.

Updated: March 10, 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment