Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Getting Started - Again!

Pic of Dan Carroll
Dan Carroll being the Intrepid IT Professional


Here's the deal. I will turn 52 this summer. I am not in the best of shape. I am at least 50 to 60 pounds (22 to 27 kilos) overweight, possibly even more. It depends on whose guidelines you follow. More on that later. I have high blood pressure. I like to think its not that high, something the doctors call hypertension. My joints creak, my feet hurt if I stand too much or walk to far, And I used to love to walk, take long hikes and go backpacking.

And to top it all off, I have glaucoma and cataracts. Had surgery in my left eye, now the right eye is developing cataracts. Oh, and I almost forgot about the sleep apnea. So anyway, it could be worse. No diabetes. Blood sugars are generally very good. But my triglycerides are out the roof. At least they are without medication and watching what I eat. I used to be a typical Southerner and eat almost everything fried.

So, the bottom line is, I have to lose weight. And to eat better. At least my body appears to be fairly resilient. I haven't shown any signs of heart disease or other weight related maladies. Except that my breathing and sleep apnea might improve, dramatically maybe, if I lose the excess baggage. So that is the plan, lose weight and get fit. My concentration though is going to be health.

I know weight is an issue, really I do. I am an American after all and the World knows we tend to be over weight, more than the average any way. But instead on concentrating on the wieght loss and dieting, I am going to work on becoming healthier. I will exercise more, eat better, concentrate on relationships, worry less, and put it all in God's hands. Yes, I am a believer, just not as devout as some.



Okay, this is rambling on a bit too much. Just wanted to let everyone know that this blog is real, that I am real, and what my purpose here is. I hope this blog has interest across many demographics but I am a middle-aged American male and will be relating my experiences from that view point. Part of what I will be concentrating on will be exercising, healthy eating, thought processes, relationships, supplements, and generally living better. I will also throw some tech in once in a while that should relate to this blog.

My motivations are personal. Mainly those that I have mentioned above. I have to work on the motivation to keep on track pursuing the continuing and hopefully steady improvements I am personally expecting. I hope you will join me on my journey and that you will make comments also. I will need the comments as fuel for thought on topics to concentrate on. If you have read my About Me page you will know that I do quite a bit of research. So comment and let me know what you are interested in.

As a disclaimer, this blog will hopefully provide some income eventually. We all have to make a living and I would like to see if writing is a viable path for me. This blog will be for my readers and a venue for me to express myself.

Thank you for your time and consideration. The journey has just begun.

Updated on March 10, 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment